To protect the health and safety of our members amid the COVID-19 pandemic, 27 members of the Utah Public Employees’ Association (UPEA) Advisory Council came together via conference call on March 27 to nominate and elect the new State Board of Directors.
UPEA bylaws state that the Advisory Council must accept nominations and hold elections for the State Board of Directors during General Council, which UPEA had to cancel this year due to COVID-19l. As an alternative, delegates came together via conference call, with legal counsel present, to conduct the election remotely. Nine nominees were presented to fill the seven seats. After a very close election via an anonymous, online survey, the following members were elected to the 2020-2021 State Board of Directors:
- Matt Briggs – Department of Natural Resources
- Travis Dimick – Department of Corrections
- Judy Kearns – Department of Workforce Services
- Michael Lapray – Department of Human Services
- Jeff Olinger – Department of Workforce Services
- Jackie Pino – Department of Corrections
- Alene Stringham – retiree
These members will serve alongside the new UPEA officers: Lori Benton (president); Dennis Kay (first vice president); Christie Workman (second vice president); and Deb McBride (past president).