Rules Corner – Understanding Your Personnel File

Your personnel file includes employment documents, such as your job description, annual personnel evaluations, and if applicable, record of any disciplinary actions you’ received.  Your employer may refer to personnel files when considering promotions or disciplinary action. To ensure accuracy, it is important to be aware of which records are in your file.

As a public employee, you are entitled to review your personnel file. Utah State Code 67-18-1, grants you the “right to examine and make copies of documents in [your] own personnel files.” If you want to look at your personnel file, you must request so with your agency’s human resources representative. A human resources representative or designee will be present when you examine your file. If you want to make copies of anything in your file, we suggest keeping the copies at your home.


  • Familiarize yourself with the records and documentation included.
    • Copies of your annual performance evaluations
    • Copy of your job description, classification, pay range, etc.
    • Copy of any disciplinary action
  • Confirm your professional accomplishments have been documented.
    • Promotions
    • Educational accomplishments (degrees, certifications, continued education, etc)
    • Rewards and recognitions
    • Staff development opportunities
  • Ensure accuracy.
    • The agency should not place anything in your file without notifying you. If you receive any disciplinary action, you should have been made aware previously when given a notice of intent to discipline.
    • If you file a grievance related to a disciplinary action and the action is reduced or overturned, documents related to the original action should be rescinded and not included in your personnel file.
    • If you become aware of an inaccurate item in your file, according to DHRM Rule R477-2-5(5), you “may request corrections, amendments to, or challenge any information.” To dispute records or make corrections to your file, a written request must be sent to management.

If you have any questions or concerns about your personnel file and how to access it, reach out to your UPEA representative or call the office at (801)-264-8732.