As the beginning of the 2022 Legislative Session approaches, there is no better time to reach out to your state senator and representative to make sure your voice is heard. State employees continue to fall behind the market average for compensation by a staggering margin. This wage gap is detrimental to employee morale and is causing significant recruitment and retention issues across the state. Let your legislators know about the challenges you are facing, and encourage them to support a significant compensation increase this year.
3 Easy Steps for Contacting Your Legislators
FIND YOUR LEGISLATORS
MAKE THE FIRST CONTACT
- Click here and enter your home address in the search bar
- Click the photos to find their contact information
- Introduce yourself
- Make it personal, but remain professional
- Clearly state your reason for contacting them (compensation, retention, retirement, etc.)
- If you do not receive a response, send reminders to ensure they don’t forget who you are and what’s important to you
Be sure to use your own time and personal resources to avoid a conflict of interest. You are reaching out as a constituent who works for the state, not as a representative of your agency. Feel free to let your representatives know that you are a UPEA member.
Check out UPEA’s video tutorials for more information about contacting your legislators.